Great Northern Railway
& North Western Railway Joint Line from
Market Harborough to Bottesford and Saxondale via Melton Mowbray
Nottingham London Road
Road station, although not a product of the joint line, became the
terminus for the LNWR and GNR passenger traffic. The Ambergate Company
as it was known operated from 15th July 1850 to a junction with the MR
at Netherfield, but soon built its own line to the city from that point
and on 3rd October 1857 brought into use the terminus at London Road
(later to be called London Road Low Level) no more than a couple of
hundred yards away from the rival MR establishment on Station Street.
section of line between Netherfield and Nottingham was built owing to
various conflicts between the MR and the AN&B&EJR. The
difficulties related to the carriage of Derbyshire coal which had been
cornered as MR business. The GNR used the line which it had leased to
open up business opportunities by driving a line around the north of
Nottingham and on to Derby.
would eventually reach the Burton on Trent Breweries and the milk
traffic in Stafford. The GNR secured a large tract of land at Colwick to
the east of Nottingham and established siding and a loco shed there.
Later in LNER days the loco shed would become a main stabling location
(38A) with over 200 engines allocated to the shed.
the joint line effectively terminated upon reaching the GNR Nottingham
to Grantham line, through its running powers over the GNR metals the
LNWR would reach the Nottingham and Derbyshire coalfields taking their
share of the lucrative coal traffic. The LNWR built a large goods
warehouse on a short east facing branch on the north of Trent Junction
at Manvers Street. They also built an eight road loco shed at Colwick
near the GNR sheds and yards. Staff houses were built and named 'North
Western Terrace'. Later as business grew they provided a further yard at
Colwick. In exchange for the running powers agreement with the GNR the
LNWR secured a strong footing in the east midlands.
little track mileage was provided by the LNWR but it achieved a strong
trading position in Nottingham through its policy of opposing the laying
of new lines and supporting the GNR in exchange for running powers, in the process saving itself much
Road station remained in service until WWII when it became the outgoing
mail center for troops. It was used as a parcels depot into the 1970's.
Maund - Rail Chronology