Great Northern Railway
& North Western Railway Joint Line from
Market Harborough to Bottesford and Saxondale via Melton Mowbray
GNR spur to Leicester Belgrave
Lowersby station opened
on the 15 May 1882, the first station to be opened on the GNR spur to
Leicester. The first passenger service from Peterborough to Leicester
terminated at Lowersby from the 1 January 1883 until the line into
Leicester was completed. When opened the station was called Loseby but
was changed in December 1916 to Lowesby. The station closed on the 7
December 1953 but the workmans special lasted until 29 April 1957 apart
from a short break in December 1956. The station site is now part of a
The station opened for
goods on 2 July 1883 and remained open until the workman's special was
withdrawn in 1957.
Thurnby & Scraptoft
The line passes through
Ingarsby tunnel (516 yds) between Ingarsby and Thurnby and was opened
for goods traffic on 2 October 1882 and passengers on the 2 July 1883.
Goods services ceased on 1 June 1964. The site is now occupied by a
The station was built
as a high level site near to the bridge on the Leicester - Scraptoft
road. The platforms on the west side of the bridge had wooden surfaces,
the goods yard and and cattle dock were sited on the east side of the
road. Opening for goods traffic on the 2 October 1882 the passenger
service followed in 1883. A health clinic now stands on the east site
and the west site is the start of a nature trail.
Leicester Belgrave Road
built to befit the arrival of the GNR into Leicester, was opened for
goods traffic on the 2 October 1882. The site included a warehouse with
a four road capacity, four coal sidings and a 10 ton yard crane and
The loco depot was
situated on the east of bridge 41 on the south side of the main lines
and had a three road shed, coaling stage and a 45' turntable.
The passenger station
had a partially glazed roof of two curved arches covering six platforms.
The station had offered on opening a 07:00 excursion to Skegness, local
trains to and from Melton Mowbray and four trains to and from
Peterborough. The station never reached its full potential and after
WWII services were further cut. Normal services lasted until 29 April
1957 and the weekend excursions to the coast lasted until 1962.
To the east of the
station a double curve was installed to connect the GNR to the MR but it
was blocked in 1908.
The station now now
hosts a supermarket and carpark.
Maund - Rail Chronology